(Alphabetized by Name)
- Former Belleville Philharmonic Jr. Orchestra member
- High School Band experience included: concert band, marching band, and jazz band
- Attended several music camps in IL, MO, and WI
- Former BAC (Belleville Area College) Jazz Band member
- Teaching drum lessons locally since 1987.
- Coached high school drum lines from 1993-1997.
- Orchestra pit work for area theater musicals including Washington University.
- Working professionally in many local groups covering classic and alternative rock, jazz, rockabilly, and blues since 1990.
- Notable Venues and Tours:
- 3 week tour with DOD (USO) entertaining troops in Hungary, Bosnia, and Iceland during July 1999.
- Beverly Hills, CA private party October 2006.
- Currently playing blues in venues at St. Louis Casinos, Country Clubs, and the Ritz Carlton in Clayton, MO.
- Belleville West High School
- High School Marching Maroons for 4 years
- High School Jazz Band for 3 years
- SIUE - Bachelors Degree in Jazz Performance in 2000
List of Pit Band Experience for Musicals:
- Guys and Dolls
- Pump Boys and Dinettes
- Angry Housewives
- Big River
- West Side Story
SELF EMPLOYED AS A MUSICIAN
I have freelanced in the local St. Louis bi-state area since 1988 with bands like Online, Galaxy, Park Avenue, Menagerie, Phoenix, the Alterations, the Sessions Jazz Band, The Stan Fornaszewski Orchestra, Second Nature, Chaminade Prepatory School, EDEN Church, Union Methodist Church, Incarnate Word, and many others. I have also done clinics with drummer Steve Houghton, drummer Adam Nussbaum, and jazz trumpeter Marvin Stamm (known for his one brief claim to fame for playing the trumpet on Paul McCartney's 1971 chart-topper "Uncle Abert/Admiral Halsey").
New Line Theatre
Washington Ave, St. Louis, MO
In 2003 I was hired to transcribe the original Broadway recordings of the 1950's musical "The Nervous Set" for New Line Theatre. For some reason there was a script available for the actors, but no music for the musicians to perform. In less than three months I had to transcribe the score for the conductor and musicians. I also worked with the original composer of the 1950's show via e-mail to include other selections that did not get recorded on the original Broadway album. He had sent me some other melodies and lyrics, and from these I created the score for the musicians. We added four songs that were not on the original Broadway album for the New Line Theatre's production in 2003.
LENNY KLINGER PROMOTIONS (a.k.a. GALAXY):
1750 S. Brentwood Blvd.
St. Louis, MO
Lenny Klinger is an agent in the St. Louis area who puts together bands for all occasions including wedding ceremonies, receptions, corporate/private parties, and benefits. I freelanced for him from September 1989 until New Years Eve 1997. With his organization I had the opportunity to perform all styles of music (i.e., jazz, classical, broadway show tunes, latin music, Jewish songs, Irish songs, pop, and rock), and that has made me a well rounded musician. We would also travel outside of the St. Louis area to perform in Oklahoma, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Maryland, Florida, Atlanta, Indiana, and basically anywhere people wanted us to perform. In January 1997, we were hired to perform in Puerto Rico for an AMWAY function for 9 days. That was one of the highlights in my career with Galaxy. I left Galaxy to work on my own musical projects and hobbies.
- Passionate and creative while instructing students in the art of Music.
- Accurate record keeper and can clearly log information leading to project completion.
- Superior product outcome is a high priority - a 'job well done' is my goal.
- Enthusiastic and thorough in presenting my objective oriented lesson plans.
- Superior product outcome is a high priority - a 'job well done' is my goal.
Professional Work Experience
Mehlville School District & St. Clair County, IL --- April 2012 - present
- Implemented lesson plans developed by the teacher - music(K-12) and Gr.1-5
- Maintained classroom management while adapting to each teacher's routine
Home Educator:St. Clair County, IL --- Sept. 2000 - May 2009
- Researched, selected curriculum; established lesson plans, daily schedules and short/long range goals; instructed various academic disciplines at Grades 4-10 level
- Served 6 years on Leadership Team of St. Clair County Christian Home Educators
- Held position of Music Coordinator for same support group (7 years): Directed Band Concerts; taught private beginner instrumental lessons; organized group field trips; provided timely, accurate communication with membership regarding upcoming music events; Sr. Band participation grew from 12 to 26... good musical growth as well; held concerts in community settings... hospital, retirement home, park, churches, etc.
- Proactive leadership in instituting and organizing the first ever Music Festival for the students
- Secured judges, determined site entry locations, recruited adequate volunteers; determined event schedule and devised Guideline Manual for Festival
Music Director(FT):First Assembly of God, Belleville, IL --- 1997-1999
- Directed Adult and Youth Choirs, handbells, instrumental ensembles for services.
- Conducted two major seasonal cantatas/dramas each year with live orchestra accompaniment.
- Served as Pianist for worship services and choral/instrumental special numbers.
- Correlated all travel arrangements and musically prepared youth choir for 2 summer tours.
Music Director/Teacher (FT):Assembly of God Church & School, Burlington, IA --- 1 year
- Pianist for services; selected worship music; directed Choir, special ensembles; directed cantatas.
- Taught K - 12 classroom music; directed Band and Chorus; mentored entries for music contests.
Music Teacher (FT):Whiteside & High Mount School, Belleville, IL --- 5 years
- Whiteside Sr. Band increased in membership from 25 - 65 while on staff.
- Maintained student grades, records and District required logging.
- Prepared coarse material, assignments and handouts for Classroom Music Gr. K-6 as well as Band & Chorus.
- Explained and demonstrated artistic techniques in preparation for concerts and contests.
- Instructed all beginner band students - can adequately demonstrate all Band instruments for beginners.
"The enthusiasm shown by the children and the careful and imaginative staging did much to add to the festive mood of the audience... ...At the end of the show many remarks were heard about how much the program was enjoyed and how much better it had been than in years past."
H M S School Board President/letter excerpt
- Bachelor of Music Education Degree,
-- Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, Illinois
- Dean's College List; Graduated with Honors: GPA=3.76 (4.0 scale)
- Member Pi Kappa Lambda -- Music Honor Society (faculty nominated)
Violin, Viola, Mandolin, Guitar, Piano
- 2009 to Present: Accent Music Lessons, Instructor: Violin, Viola, Mandolin.
- 2006-2009: SWIC Music Lab Attendant and Staff Assistant.
- Summers 2007 and 2008: Assistant Violin/Music Theory Instructor, Teipen Music Studio, Clayton, Mo.
- 2011: Alton Symphony Orchestra, Viola.
- 2010: Marion Culture and Civic Center Beatle Tribute, Violin.
- 2010 to Present: Southern Illinois Symphony Orchestra, Violin and Viola.
- 2007 to Present: Belleville Philharmonic, Principal Viola.
- 2008 to 2010: BPYO Virtuosi Youth Chamber Orchestra, Viola.
- 2005 to 2010: Belleville Philharmonic Youth Orchestra, Violin and Viola.
- 2006 to Present: Philip Tinge's Philzharmonics, Violin and Viola. Venues have included Disney World and Holiday World.
- Amoretto String Quartet, Viola.
- Cahokia String Quartet, Violin and Viola.
Pit Orchestral Experience
Aida, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Producers, Mame, South Pacific, Meet Me in St. Louis, La Cage aux Folles, Redhead, Thoroughly Modern Millie, The Wedding Singer, Chess, Pippin, The Wizard of Oz.
- B.A. 2010, SWIC, Music Education.
- Member Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society.
- SWIC Music Department Instrumentalist Award, 2008.
- SWIC Music Department Tuition Scholarship, 2007 and 2008.
Musician / Songwriter / Music Instructor / Sound and Lighting Technician
Acoustic/Electric Guitar; Electric Bass, Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Irish Whistle.
To teach knowledge of musical arts and techniques in all forms and musical styles. My instruction utilizes learning skills such as self-discipline and goal-setting through intellectual, physical, social development, and positive reinforcement. Most important is to have fun playing music by building self-esteem and self-confidence through correct and regular practice, performance, and listening.
I instruct using the "Method Approach". One step at a time until the task is mastered. This form of repetition and reinforcement makes learning fun and productive and not overwhelming. Through clear simple positive instruction; correct posture, technique, and breath are achieved. Development of technique, embouchure, intonation, and utilizing correct practicing techniques the student will acquire the necessary skills to master their desired instrument.
- Associates of Music --- Springfield Illinois College
Major: Music Performance --- 1986 - 1988
- Bachelor of Science --- Quincy College
Major: Music Business --- 1989 - 1992
- Associates of Applied Science --- ITT Technical Institute
Major: Electronics Technology --- 1995 - 1997
- National Vocational
Technical Honor Society --- 1997
- Independent Sound and Lighting Technician --- 1986 - Present
- Component Level Electronic Technician --- 1997 - Present
- Instrument Repair Technician --- 1992 - Present
Music Performance Experience
- Springfield College Jazz Band --- Bass/Guitar --- 1986 - 1988
- Springfield College Choir --- Vocal/Bass --- 1988 - 1989
- Quincy College Jazz Band --- Bass/Guitar --- 1989 - 1993
- Quincy College Wind Ensemble --- Flute --- 1989 - 1992
- Quincy College Choir --- Vocal/Bass --- 1989 - 1992
- Quincy College Pep Band --- Bass --- 1989 - 1992
Musical Pit Experience
- Leader of the Pack --- Guitar --- 1990 - 1991
- Jesus Christ Superstar --- Bass --- 1991 - 1992
- BIT'S and PEICES --- Bass/Guitar --- 2002 - 2004
- CODE-10 --- Guitar --- 2003 - 2005
- RUKUS --- Bass/Guitar --- 2002 - 2004
- LIT SISTER --- Guitar --- 2003 - 2005
- Louis Margaglione: Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, and Conducting.
- Steve Parke: Instrumentation, Counterpoint, Chord Voicing, Commercial and Jingle Writing.
- Pauline Connor: Classical Guitar.
Currently holding several Copyrights in the Library of Congress. I continually create and produce and record all types of original music. Currently, I am working on publishing several original musical compositions.
Hannah Gillaspie started studying violin at age 6 and flute at age 8. She is now a recent graduate of Concordia University Chicago, where she played violin and flute in a variety of musical groups, including Wind Symphony, Chamber Orchestra, and Chamber groups.
Hannah was concertmistress of the Chamber Orchestra for two years and took private lessons with Elizabeth Coffman. She was also flute section leader in the University’s Wind Symphony, studying under the instruction of Cindy Fudala. With these groups, Hannah toured throughout the country and went on international tours to France and China.
Hannah frequently plays for weddings and other special events. She is currently principal second violin in the Belleville Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Several years piano lessons
- Guitar lessons from father and self-taught
- Althoff Catholic High School: Concert Band (4 years), Mixed Chorus (3 years), Jazz Band, Pep Band, Swing Choir, musicals
- University of Kansas: Harpsichord lessons
- Belleville Area College: Music Theory, Jazz Band, Jazz Guitar lessons
- Louisiana State University: Electronic Music composition
Past Playing Experience
- Guitar, bass, and keyboard in several locally produced musicals, including Looking Glass Playhouse
- Guitar and mandolin at jazz and bluegrass jam sessions in Freeburg and Belleville
Current Playing Experience
- Keyboard player in local band Hypertension
- Keyboard and 2nd guitar player in the Crosswalk praise group at Union UMC
- Solo and duo acoustic guitar
John has been playing professionally for 20 years, and has a wide variety of performing and teaching experience. He has taught trumpet players of all ages and levels of ability. Personalizing lessons and troubleshooting problems is one of his strengths. He maintains a strong belief that the best atmosphere for learning music is one of positivity, affirmation, and FUN.
- Belleville West High School
- Eastman School of Music
- University of North Florida
- Famous Door/Bourbon St. New Orleans, LA.
- John Wehner's Dream Band
- Walt Disney World
- Magic Kingdom
- Christmas Brass
- Walt Disney World Band
- Main Street Philharmonic
- Kids of the Kingdom
- Hollywood Studios
- Hollywood Hitmen
- Candlelight Processional Orchestra/Fanfare Trumpets
- Future Corps
Has Performed With:
KC and the Sunshine Band --- Arturo Sandoval --- Kenny Rogers --- Glenn Miller Orchestra --- Diane Schuur --- Marvin Stamm --- Woody Herman Orchestra --- Bob Mintzer --- K. Starr --- Xavier Cugat Orchestra --- Tim Haggans --- Steve Lawrence --- Joe Lavano --- Tempations --- John Pizzarelli --- Cassandra Wilson --- John Abercrombie --- Louie Bellson --- Rosemary Clooney --- Tito Nieves --- Jay Black --- Diane Reeves --- Tito Puente --- Four Tops
CD Recording Credits:
"Haven't You Heard Yet?" - University of North Florida Jazz Ensemble
"Madcap" - Chuck Owen and the Jazz Surge Big Band
"Late Night" - Dan McMillion Jazz Orchestra
"You Just Made My Day" - Orlando Jazz Orchestra
"How Can I Keep From Singing" - Northland Worship Album
"Sueno Contigo" - Orquesta Tropical
"Deed I Do" - Parke Frankenfield
Rachell Crayton is a Independent singer-songwriter and recording artist that performs around the St. Louis Metropolitan area. Rachell has received musical training through Southwestern Illinois College as well as from working with experienced musicians in the St. Louis area. Rachell has worked as a vocal instructor for the School of Rock.
She has shared a stage with local musicians Rolland Johnson, Al Holiday and the East Side Band, Curt Copeland, and Ms. Molly Simms, Sean Holland, and Philip Graves. Rachell has over a hundred positive reviews on Fiverr. Currently, Raye is working with producers, record company’s, and djs around the world. Rachell is a songwriter for an organization called “ Songs of Love”.
In 2015 Rachell was one of the grand prize winners of the Hilton Rock Star Competition. The grand prize for this competition was an all-expense paid trip to the 57th Annual Grammys. The same year Rachell won the RAW Artist Musician of the Year Award for St. Louis, MO.
In May 2015 Rachell and guest performed at the Susan G. Komen Luncheon. Raye’s music was featured in the independent film “Cronies”. This film was written and directed by Michael J. Larnell. The executive producer for this film is the legendary Spike Lee.
Rachell was the 2014 West County Young Adult Solo Duet Champion. Rachell was a performer through an organization called STLive. Currently, Rachell is working on new music for an up and coming project.
Piano & Vocal Instructor
Styles (but not limited to): Classical, Rock, Pop, Gospel/Christian, Urban/R&B
Additional Methods: Music Theory, Improvisation, Composition/Arranging, Fake Book Reading, Complex Chords, and more!
To teach proper techniques, mechanics, and musicianship of vocal and piano performance
- Belleville Township High School East - Graduated 2000
- Southern Illinois University @ Edwardsville - 2000-2004 - Music Education
- Southwestern Illinois College - 2004-2006 - Music Education, Music Performance
MUSICAL / WORK EXPERIENCE
- Troy Assembly of God - January 2003 — November 2007 - Second Pianist
- Scott Air Force Base Chapel - October 2003 — July 2007 - Lead Musician
- Redeemer Community PCA - June 2006 — December 2006 - Music Coordinator
- Melodic Rhythms - August 2005 — October 2008 - Piano/Vocal Instructor
- Scott Air Force Base Chapel - July 2007 — October 2008 - Contemporary Music Coordinator
- Southwestern Illinois College - August 2007 - Present - Assistant Choral Director
- City Temple Assembly of God - November 2007 - Present - Music Director
- Scott Air Force Base Chapel - October 2008 — Present - Choral Director
- Accent Music Lessons - October 2008 — Present - Piano/Vocal Instructor
- City Temple KG - December 2008 — Present - Piano/Vocal Instructor
OTHER KEY MUSICAL EXPERIENCES
- Brahms Requiem Concert - Carnegie Hall, New York, NY - Participant
- Rocky Horror Picture Show - Music Director/Conductor - May 26, 2006 & April 2007
*Also includes numerous other performances, director positions, and mentorships.
My main goal is to teach not only the specifics of the student’s instrument, but also teach life applications. Music is THE universal language in which every person, regardless of native tongue, can fully understand. I want the student to be able to apply themselves to the fullest, without being forced... music is a privilege, and shouldn’t be treated as work.
Music can be a part of everyone’s life and can be used to describe every emotion, and we all have varying ways of expressing ourselves, which are called talents. My area of expertise is the piano and vocal side of the musical talent. As an instructor at Accent Music Lessons it is my job and my privilege to help my students, both young and old, discover their true talent, perfect it, and use it anyway they can, whether it be through brisk performance with the utmost confidence, or just sitting at home, with the assurance of knowing they can play that hard Beethoven piece or sing a chromatic scale without assistance.
Thank you and welcome to Accent Music Lessons!